Friday, January 2, 2009

A Pinch of This, a Dash of That

SKYDIVING
So, Cory didn't really get me a Christmas gift......But he made up for it, and POOF! All was forgiven. He took me skydiving, something I have wanted to do for such a long time. I surprised myself by not being that scared at all. It wasn't any more scary than a great thrill ride at Six Flags, plus a whole lot more fun. I know, I know. Some of you may be saying "Girl! You can't be skydiving while your pregnant!" Well, I just did. Anyway, the research on skydiving while pregnant is inconclusive..... :)


Us in our hot jumpsuits
Cory slowly descending to earth.....


For a perfect landing! Not!


That's me coming down. I don't even need to include a pic of the landing. It was textbook, like a butterfly.
Me as a conehead with the good man that preserved my life for the ride down.

STUPIDITY
Cory has a bit of a tradition going. I am still trying to figure out the hellish origins of it. Every single New Year's day, he feels compelled to jump into a icy lake for a "polar bear" dip. It is truly one of the most masochistic things I have ever witnessed. If you will notice, he convinced some other poor sap to go with him, not myself. Hey! I paid my dues last New Year's in a lake surrounded by snow in "beautiful" British Columbia, Canada. I get a pass.




Christmas

Just a hodge-podge of pics. I had to include a picture of our rather pathetic tree. As an army widow this December, the task was up to me to go out and pick a tree, load it into the truck, and single handedly set it up in the stand, not to mention decorate it. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments. I firmly believe that setting up a Christmas tree with only 2 hands should be an Olympic sport. 3 hours later...TADA!



Would you believe me if I told you it doesn't actually snow in our neck of the woods? You can imagine the mess it created when it did for over a week this year.

I took advantage of the snow. I put on all my snow gear, went to the corner gas station to buy a hot chocolate, and went on a one and a half mile walk in the snow that took me over an hour. Some people never grow up...

We went down to my sister Phoebe's house in Hyrum, Utah. I couldn't believe how fun it was to spend Christmas with little kids again. They make everything an experience. I can tell you what wasn't fun, though. A 13 hour return home drive that turned into 24 hours + due to road closures and driving 30 mph most of the way because of a terrible snow storm.

Phoebe and Greyson decorating gingerbread houses.

Brooke and Natalya working on their architecture.


Christmas morning. Go ahead. Try and tell me it gets cuter than that.

Brooke and Cory Christmas morning, in our tradition PJ's.

Actually, one of the highlights on the trip for me was driving down to Ogden to see some friends from my mission. We stopped by President and Sister Joyce's house and had a great chat. She asked me if I had lost weight....I swear the good Lord reserved a place in heaven for that woman.

PREGNANCY PROFILE PIC-15 1/2 weeks


slowly but surely






































































































































6 comments:

kimberly said...

Wow, Brooke! You are a lot braver than I am! I'm impressed with the skydiving! We just did the indoor one in the wind tunnel...and that's about as much as we'll ever do I think! :-) Happy New Year!

The Stanford Bunch said...

I can not beleive that not only did you go skydiving but you went pregnant!! You brave girl!! I'm glad it was fun!! Loved all the pix, sounds like a great Christmas, despite the long drive home! Happy New Year!!

Alainarae said...

I can't believe you didn't tell me you went skydiving! THat is awesome! You guys are crazy!

Crys said...

Wow that is a long drive home. Yuck. I wish I would have known you were in Utah...although with all the snow we got the chances of getting me up to Hyrum would have been slim. Every day it snowed I was so grouchy. I keep saying, "Hello I was going to go Christmas shopping today." How annoying. You realize we are due around the same time. I'm the 21st...I think :)

Crystal said...

So that's why you were jumping out of a plane. That is so awesome! I give you props. That is something that Spencer did before we were married. I'm glad, 'cause that type of thing does not sound fun to me at all. I'd probably hurl on the instructor person. I think your tree story was my favorite. I had a mental image of you setting it up. Ha ha. That was funny. I'm glad you got to have Christmas with Phoebe and her adorable children. They get cuter every time I see them. I can't wait to be an aunt.

Rachelle said...

I love reading your blog you are a hoot...a crazy hoot, but a hoot none the less. I am so glad everything went well on your jump. Just a thought though... Do you think that just maybe the studies on sky diving while pregnant are inconclusive because there are'nt any people who are willing to take the risk for the sake of the study?