Monday, April 13, 2009

The Perfect Day

Cory and I both had a DONSA (Day Of No Scheduled Activity) on Friday, so we decided to take advantage of it. We have lived in this blessed state for 16 months now and we had never been down to see the sights in Seattle. So, in true tourist fashion, we packed up our cameras and walking shoes and headed into town. Its about a 50 minute drive from our home to the city center of Seattle. Our first stop was the Pacific Science Center. This was my suggestion mostly for Cory's sake. But do you know what? I had an absolute blast. It was mostly geared towards little kids, so we had a fine time acting very juvenile and trying out all the little experiments.
My favorite parts were the IMAZ 3-D movie "Under the Sea" and the butterfly house. I had never been to a 3-D movie before and it sufficiently knocked my socks off in the IMAX theater. I thought we looked pretty hot in our glasses.The butterfly house was seriously one of the sweetest things I have ever experienced. They have this big tropical rainforest where they released thousands of butterflys. They let you to walk around and get close to all the beautiful creatures. It was kind of like a petting zoo, but way cooler. They landed on people all the time and they had to check you for butterflys as you left the building. It was awesome to be that close to so many magnificent creatures.


After the Science Center, we walked to this little local burger joint hot-spot called "Dick's". It was sort of like IN-N-OUT, but not quite as good. Then we walked FOREVER down to this huge indoor/outdoor marketplace called "PIKE PLACE MARKET". This is the place where they throw the fish through the air to each other when you buy one. We didn't buy one. I made a personal choice long ago to never spend 650$ on a halibut.
That was cool, but the coolest part was all of the international little "hole in the wall" restaurants. You could literally buy food from just about every country on earth. We had some pastries from a french bakery and then Cory bought a piroshky (meat pie) and borscht from this little Russian cafe. He was in heaven....I thought it was really greasy, but palattable.
After the meat pie, I deserved a real treat, so we stopped at Starbucks and had Frappucinos(non-coffee, silly) and hot chocolate. I....Love....Frappucinos. They are one of my worst weaknesses. They may even keep me out of heaven. Anyway, here is our horrible tourist picture. The whole day was FANTASTIC!




































5 comments:

Bud & Kim said...

So fun! You look great. Miss ya!

Alainarae said...

Oh, that looked like fun! We kind of did that when we first moved here, only without the science center or Imax movie, and Pikes Place was closed when we were there.. But I was preggo, and we walked a LOT upHILL!!! But it was still fun!

Crystal said...

That looks fun. I like your typical Seattle space needle tourist pictures. Very nice :)

Rachelle said...

I dont know why but I did not get the little note telling me you had posted another entry anyway I think it is so cool that you and Corey are getting out traveling and having fun together. great Pictures but I am ready for an good update on that belly of yours.

kimberly said...

Everyone needs a fun day every once in a while!