Saturday, May 1, 2010

Here's to Trying New Things


Alright, I hate to admit this to the entire world, but my life is just a titch boring sometimes. I know, I know. You are all thinking "How could that be possible seeing as you are a suburban stay at home mom of one with an invisible husband?" Well, believe it folks. That's why sometimes I have to create adventures for myself.

My most recent adventure starts today. I have dubbed May "Vegetarian Month". To be completely forthcoming, it was going to be "Vegan Month", but after extensive research, I don't think I have the guts for that. So instead, I am going to be a stricter vegetarian with only limited amounts of dairy and eggs. It was also originally only going to be a week, but I decided I needed more time to get over the withdrawal of all things meaty (read:tasty).

Some people may ask where this retarded idea came from. If you know me, you know that I LOVE food, and I can pack away more food faster than most competitive food eating contest contestants. I seriously just need something interesting to focus on. Also, ever since I had Reagan, I have been researching a little more about the food we put into our bodies. I want to set her up for success as best as I possibly can. I recently switched to organic animal products and by-products, but I wonder if that is still not enough. I have been trying unsuccessfully to lose the last handful of pounds from my pregnancy. Who would have thought that training for a marathon wouldn't be enough. I want to throw my body for a loop and see if that is what it takes to get it out of this rut.

I will report from time to time how my journey is going for the benefit of the millions that read this blog. I will do an AAR (after action review) at the end of the month and then I will either make it permanent or you will find me at IN-N-OUT with a huge burger in hand (which is where I was last night :)

All the food in my house with animal products in it. I was going to throw it away, and then I felt guilty.

6 comments:

Heather said...

You are awesome and oh so brave. Good luck. Let me know how it goes :) I have been looking into things we eat too since Cason was born. It's crazy all the stuff in our food! So good for you!

Crystal said...

Very cool. That certainly WILL be an adventure. Only, I really hope you don't permanently stay vegetarian. Or at least don't turn into my cousin that made a big speech about how he "doesn't eat his friends" at his sisters wedding where they served shrimp. I'm sure you won't since that's not even the reason your doing this. Ha. I'm actually really interested in meatless protein sources, so I'd love to hear more about his adventure.

Staci said...

Thanks for sending my your blog address! I got ALL of your humor in this post;) Good luck with the veggie diet. I'll go get a salad with you anytime!

Thx for lastnight, that was fun...even though I'm tired today!

Alainarae said...

I'm proud of you...what a great way to spend your time, researching how to make your child(and you) as healthy as possible. That's what did it for me. Good luck!

Amy Bushatz said...

You crazy.

I was going to not run today and then I read your blog. I think you tricked me into going for a run. That was sneaky of you.

Rachelle said...

you are getting rid of your animal products and we are growing our own! I have not talked to you in forever but I finally decided to catch up on my blogging and read this post. We have 2 bull calves grazing in our yard that we plan to fill our freezer with in the next year or so. Since this is a short term diet, (have you been able to stick with it?) maybe you will be up for a trip to Delaware where you can enjoy some free range Beef BBQ in a year or so. :-)